England’s centrally contracted men’s cricketers have agreed to take a 15% cut as a part of cost cutting measures due to coronavirus.
The ECB says that the English Cricket board has already lost more than 100 million pound a figure that could rise to 200 million pound next year. Last month the governing body announced that it will cut up to 62 jobs due to the current financial crisis. Bowlers such as Broad & Woakes have said that the players are willing to take a pay cut which the ECB revealed on Friday would come from retainers, match fees and win bonuses. The annual contracts started on October 1st which were understood to have worth of 650,000 pound for Test stars and 275,000 pound for white-ball performers in 2019/20.
Director of Men’s Cricket Ashley Giles thanked the players & the team England Player Partnership (TEPP). “The relationship with our men’s players and their representatives (TEPP) is strong, and we need to recognize that our players, led by captains Joe Root and Eoin Morgan, have conducted themselves with great maturity and responsibility throughout this challenging time,” he said.
“We now want to build on this agreement and work together on a number of areas relating to player welfare, particularly mental health, which remains a high priority for all of us, as we continue to navigate a path through this pandemic.”
Richard Bevan, who is the Chairman of the TEPP, said: “These are unprecedented times and once again the players have shown that they fully appreciate the important role they play in helping cricket emerge from this pandemic in as strong a position as possible.”