ECB has taken the decision to start the County Championship on August 1. ECB said that the decision to resume County Championship is a “significant step” for cricket amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The English County Cricket Season will start on August 1 the ECB has announced on Monday. The exact form of cricket has still to be decided, although the ECB said that this was “due to be agreed” by the 18 first-class counties earlier in the month of July. Officials of ECB has previously announced that the inaugural edition of the Hundred franchise competition has been called off due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. The first test match between England & the West Indies is all set to resume behind closed doors in a bio-secure environment in Southampton from July 8, this test series will mark the resumption of International Cricket since lockdown.
The opening session of the first-class County Championship was originally scheduled to begin on April 12. But in the months since the county championship has been delayed by the havoc created by the virus, ECB has made it clear that 20-20 blast fixtures are their most lucrative domestic format of cricket with International fixtures their biggest cash draw.
Health & Safety is ECB’s first priority which has approved the return to training of first-class county cricket on July 1. “It is a significant step for our game that we are able to approve the start of the men’s domestic season for August 1 and one which will be welcomed by everyone connected with county cricket,” said ECB chief executive Tom Harrison.
Harrison further said that “will continue to shape our planning and preparation”. Two-day friendly matches between Surrey and Middlesex and Yorkshire and Lancashire in July had already been announced before Monday’s statement by the ECB.