Cricket South Africa’s acting President Rihan Richards said on Friday that CSA will bid to host the 2021 Men’s Cricket World Cup. Richards made this announcement at a Press Conference in which details of a new governance model for CSA were revealed after months of argument.
Rihan Richards said an agreement on the composition of a new board, with a majority of independent directors, will enable CSA to put their focus firmly only on cricket matters. Richards further said that South Africa will also take part in a bidding process for ICC events over a new eight-year cycle. Bidding will open within the next few months.
“We will be bidding for both men’s and women’s World Cups, an Under-19 World Cup, and a T20 World Cup. But our focus will be on the 2027 men’s World Cup. We believe it is an ideal opportunity as it will be 24 years since we last hosted it“, said Rihan Richards
Earlier South Africa has hosted the 2003 Men’s World Cup & the 2005 Women’s World Cup. As well as the inaugural 2007 World T20 & the 2009 Champions Trophy. It also has staged two Under-19 tournaments.
Sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa earlier announced that he would no longer be withdrawing government recognition of CSA, which he threatened last week after the failure of the members’ council, headed by Richards, to reach an agreement with an interim board on a governance structure.
Mthethwa attended Friday’s Press Conference & said that he would now move aside from a process which he said was “between life and death in cricket”.
Interim board chairman Stavros Nicolaou said a target date of June 12 has been set for an annual general meeting which was postponed from last October at which a 15 members board would be formed with eight independent directors and five nominated by the members’ council as well as the chief executive and chief financial officer of CSA. The Board will have an independent Chairman.