IND vs ENG: It’s breaking! The ECB on Friday confirmed that England’s all-rounder Ben Stokes will take an indefinite break from all forms of cricket with immediate effect.
India & England are slated to come into a face-off in a five-match test series starting from August 4 in Nottingham. ECB has confirmed that stokes has withdrawn from England’s test squad to focus on his mental well-being & to rest his left index finger which has not fully recovered since his return to competitive cricket earlier in July.
“The ECB fully supports Ben Stokes decision & we will continue to help him during this period away from the game”, ECB said in its Official statement. Managing Director of England Men’s Cricket, Ashley Giles said, “Ben has shown tremendous courage to open up about his feelings & wellbeing”.
“Our primary focus has always been & will continue to be the mental health & welfare of all of our people. The demands on our athletes to prepare & play elite sport are relentless in a typical environment, but the ongoing pandemic has acutely compounded this.
“Spending significant amounts of time away from family, with minimal freedoms, is extremely challenging. The cumulative effect of operating almost continuously in these environments over the last 16 months has had a major impact on everyone’s wellbeing”. “Ben will be given a break as long as he needs & we look forward to seeing him playing cricket for England in the future”, he added.
According to the reports, Ben Stokes will be replaced in the Test squad by Somerset’s Craig Overton. Meanwhile, the Indian team in England has suffered a setback as three of its players Washington Sundar, Shubman Gill & Avesh Khan have suffered injuries & thus they have been ruled out of the test series against England. The BCCI has named Prithvi Shaw & Suryakumar Yadav as replacements for injured players & the duo will soon fly to England to support the Indian team.