India’s limited-overs tour of Sri Lanka was called off on Thursday due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Talking about the same both the cricket boards have said that the situation is not feasible for the games to go ahead.
India has formally called off the limited-overs cricket series in Sri Lanka because of the coronavirus officials in Colombo said on Thursday. They were scheduled to play three one day internationals & three T20 matches starting from June but the fixture has been in doubt because of the ongoing virus. “The cricket series… will not be feasible,” Sri Lanka’s cricket board said. It quoted its Indian counterpart saying that they will have to seek advice from their government & health authorities before taking any decision to resume cricket.
Sri Lanka has reported 11 virus deaths & about 1,873 infections. It has eased some of its lockdown restrictions but a nationwide night curfew still continues. India last year had a full tour of Sri Lanka in 2017 playing three test matches, five ODIs & one T20 & made a clean sweep in all the matches.
Currently India is fighting against coronavirus with about 137448 active cases & the death toll rising to 8102. Due to the increasing cases of Coronavirus all the sporting activities around the world have come to a standstill. However the BCCI is planning to resume the cricket training till the end of June after looking at the crisis situation.