Netherlands tour of South Africa in doubt as New COVID-19 variant prompts to close the borders

0
9

Netherlands tour of South Africa in doubt as New COVID-19 variant prompts to close the borders

Netherlands tour of South Africa is in doubt as a newly found variant of COVID-19 in South Africa has created havoc & resulted in stricter travel restrictions. The emergence of this new strain has prompted UL+K to even suspend flights from South Africa, as well as several other South African countries as quarantine facilities for returning passengers, are prepared.

Several members of the Netherlands team are contracted with English Counties clubs & reside in the UK which will ban the none residents from entering the country on Friday noon. The board looks ahead to enforce a ten-day self-funded mandatory quarantine on UK & Ireland’s residents arriving after 4 am on Sunday.

With flights from South Africa being canceled there were concerns in the Netherland squad that some members of their team might get stranded in Africa during these testing times. However, addressing the issue, Cricket South Africa (CSA) and Koninklijke Nederlandse Cricket Bond (KNCB) released a joint statement saying that they are trying to figure out what to do in this current situation while prioritizing the physical and mental well-being of its players.

Logistical issues of South Africa have made it nearly impossible for the Dutch team to leave the country in the next couple of days.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) and Koninklijke Nederlandse Cricket Bond (KNCB) are aware of news reports doing the rounds regarding the Netherlands tour to South Africa being canceled or postponed.

“Both boards can confirm that following updated information, it is highly unlikely that the visiting team will be able to fly out of South Africa over the weekend. The KNCB is reviewing all of its options while prioritizing the physical and mental well-being of its players” statement an official statement of CSA.

“A decision on the continuation of the series will follow in the next 24 to 48 hours, while all flight options are being considered. No other comment will be offered until a definite resolution has been reached,” the joint statement read.

The first of the three ODIs will go ahead as planned at Centurion today, but no decision has yet been made on whether the Dutch will remain in South Africa to play the remaining two CWC Super League fixtures after flights resume on Sunday.

Stay hooked to the Latest Cricket News, Latest Cricket Match News, Live Cricket Score, Latest Cricket Match Score, Indian Cricket Team News & much more only at Cricketflicker!

 

 

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here