Sri Lanka Cricket said on Tuesday that they will go ahead with West Indies tour which has been into doubt after the opening batsman Lahiru Thirimanne & Coach Mickey Arthur contracted coronavirus. The Sri-Lanka Cricket board said that the Sri-Lanka team will leave for the Caribbean on February 23 for a series which was originally slated to start on Saturday.
Sri Lanka Cricket had been trying to delay the series since their 52 years old coach & one of their players has been tested positive for coronavirus. There was no Official announcement made on whether the pair would join the tour or not but board sources said that both are asymptomatic & had also completed their isolation period.
Sri-Lanka is slated to play three T20Is, three ODIs & two test matches “under a bio-secure environment in Antigua” from March 3 to April 2, the board said in an Official statement. Thrimanne & Arthur were the only members of the Sri-Lanka National Cricket team who tested positive for COVID-19. At least 76,750 people in Sri-Lanka have been tested positive for coronavirus with 403 people dying because of coronavirus.
Sri-Lanka hosted a two match test series against England at Galle last month in which Thrimanne made 111 runs in the first test match without any spectators being a part of the first test due to strict health regulations to prevent the spread of coronavirus. The three match T20 matches will be played on March 3, 5 and 7 at the Coolidge Cricket Ground, Antigua while the three one-day internationals will be at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium on March 10, 12 and 14.
The two test matches will also be played at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium with the first game starting on March 21 and the second on March 29.