ICC Women’s ODI World Cup 2021 gets postponed considering the fact that players doesn’t have enough time to prepare for the World Cup & the decision is nothing to do with the safety issues due to COVID-19 in New Zealand which is Corona free.
New Zealand has done a good job of combatting with coronavirus however country has recorded 1569 confirmed cases with majority of the cases being recovered making it one of the most least affected places in the world. “It came down to the ability of the teams to qualify,” Nelson the CEO of Women’s World Cup told ‘NZME’, a local media group.
The Qualifier matches for the World Cup was scheduled to be held in July but has been postponed due to the increasing havoc of the pandemic. India, England, Australia, South Africa and the hosts had already qualified for the tournament. They will retain their qualified status with the left over three slots will be filled after a Qualifying tournament.
Talking about Qualifier & selection of teams Nelson said, “We’ve done a lot of contingency planning around this event, to give it the best possible chance of proceeding successfully – ultimately the decision to delay it comes down to cricket. “No qualifying tournaments have been able to be held yet, so in order to qualify and then compete in the event in 2021 – it was too risky.”
The Tournament was scheduled to be commenced from February 6 to March 7 in New Zealand next year. The decision to delay the 12th edition of the tournament was taken at the ICC Board Meeting which was held through a teleconference last Friday. Nelson quoted as saying, “We’ve got teams that can’t train, they can’t assemble – in the case of a country like the West Indies they can’t leave their islands to bring the team together – and that’s just not a feasible way to ask a team to prepare for their pinnacle event,”
Many cricketers has expressed their disappointment over the postponement of the tournament. Top players such as Heather Knight & Australia wicketkeeper Alyssa Healy were unhappy with the postponement of the event & felt that the mega event should have commenced on the slated schedule.
However the CEO of the event Nelson is completely of the opposite opinion, “Having the tournament in 2022 gives the best possible chance for teams around the world to train, prepare, and come and compete in their pinnacle event,” she said.
“We have absolutely no doubt we’ll be able to pick up those plans and deliver an amazing event a year later”, she signed off.